Trouble…

Today’s card project was so much fun to put together. It’s the first time I’ve used my ProvoCraft Cricut “Mini Monsters” cartridge–and I have to say these little monsters will make the hardest heart smile. So I pulled out my Gypsy and my Cricut Expression and got to work with no real game plan in mind. Additionally, I experimented with more of the new cardstock color palette that will be available from Stampin’ Up! on July 1, 2010.

After a quick flip through the corresponding handbook, I immediately gravitated toward this little fellow. I laid out all of the layers on a 12″ x 12″ mat on my Gypsy. (I’ve noted the different layers on the photograph.) If you haven’t considered adding a Cricut Gypsy to your arsenal of tools and you are an avid Cricuteer, you really should consider it now that the price point has fallen significantly. The ability to layout all of your pieces and layers on a virtual mat not only helps you see how the construction will logically follow, but it allows you to lay all of your cuts on one mat and gives you the exact sizes of papers you will need to make your cuts. The amount of cardstock I have “wasted” has significantly decreased since buying my Gypsy.

All of my pieces are set to cut at a height of 2.75″. Though it is somewhat difficult to see in the screen shot due to the limits of photographing the screen display, you can gauge your paper size by either counting the grid squares (which are 1″ x 1″) or using the side rulers recently added to the Gypsy in a functional update. For instance, the base layer is five squares across and four squares down–which would indicate my cardstock should be cut to 5″ x 4″ for that particular cut.

Below is the layout of my cardstock to cut this image. All of the cardstock is from Stampin’ Up! (including new colors Cherry Cobbler, Wild Wasabi, Pear Pizzazz and Daffodil Delight).

A bit of Zig Two-Way glue pen and mono adhesive, and my little guy is suddenly taking shape and is ready to stake his territory.

For my card, I chose the following papers: the card base is Stardream So…Silk! mica cardstock in Beauty Pink (5 1/2″ x 8 1/2″, scored at 4 1/4″), the mat is Basic Grey from the Basics Manila collection: “Sphere” (4″ x 5″), and the accent paper is also Basic Grey from Nook & Pantry: “Cornbread” (2″ x 4″). I used my Stampin’ Up! tag corner punch to snip all the corners of each paper.

Adhering my layers, it was now time for my monster to find a home. I used some Copic Atyou Spica glitter pens to add some accents and sparkle. A quick sentiment and a bit more adhesive and this little monster moved right in.






If you haven’t checked out “Mini Monsters” yet–or perhaps passed it over–I have to say that I think the possibilities for this cartridge far exceed the obvious use (Halloween). It’s quirky. It’s cute. It’s monsterously fun!